Forums

With your number P#6997( my #) when do we think we will get our car?

With your number P#6997( my #) when do we think we will get our car?

1. The size of the battery?
2. Options
3. under promise over deliver quote
4. 5000 cars made in 2012

Brant | February 28, 2012

@harryjsommer
I wouldn't worry too much. The Tesla people I have talked to are speaking in increasingly optimistic terms with regards to the production timeline/delivery dates.

mwu | February 28, 2012

They (Morgan Stanley) are analyzing the market and Tesla's position. They take a lot into consideration like what it takes to start up a new production line for a (relatively) new car manufacturer. I am sure they are anticipating issues with the line like quality problems as part of their analysis.

However, they are also an outside party who probably is not aware of inner goings on at Tesla. Only Tesla themselves have a better grasp on that. Not all companies are able to keep to their deadlines. Especially ones of this magnitude. I think that's why they wrote their report as they did.

We have seen that Tesla likes to under promise and over deliver. I think their production estimates were playing to the safe side and since Tesla has the information on their own progress that Morgan Stanley doesn't, I am inclined to believe they will hit their numbers. I guess we'll see when the end of this year rolls around.

Peak Oil bruin | February 28, 2012

I'm P# 3133 and by demanding only a 40kW battery I'm thinking I might have the option of going metallic red (early 2013).

Maybe in 2013, with an Obama re-election, and a few tea-party obstructionists gone we'll get that $10k electric rebate, too!

TM, charge I can believe in.

David den Boer | February 29, 2012

With my P#5747, I was told to expect Feb 2013 delivery by the last TM rep I spoke to, regardless of my battery size.

Volker.Berlin | February 29, 2012

+1 mwu

Robert.Boston | February 29, 2012

@Peak Oil bruin: I don't want to hijack this thread onto politics, but regardless of who wins the White House, it's extremely likely that the GOP will hold both chambers of Congress. Ergo, the president will have a tough audience for EV subsidies.

Brian H | February 29, 2012

mwu | February 28, 2012
We have seen that Tesla likes to under promise and over deliver. I think their production estimates were playing to the safe side and since Tesla has the information on their own progress that Morgan Stanley doesn't, I am inclined to believe they will hit their numbers. I guess we'll see when the end of this year rolls around.

I think we'll know a lot sooner than that if the M-S # is low! I suspect TM will have delivered >2,000 by mid-September, and it will be clear long before then how fast the line is running/accelerating.

Brian H | February 29, 2012

In fact, with the line beginning to work months before deliveries begin, I think we'll have indicators well before July. That price target could be exceeded by early to mid-summer. Helped along by heavy short covering by M-S clients. ;)

Sudre_ | February 29, 2012

I am expecting to get a ETA when I sign my contract. That will be a good enough indicator for me.
#3,270

Pages