Forums

240 Extension Cords

240 Extension Cords

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I searched this forum and didn't find a thread like this.

I know that Tesla says not to use extension cords, but I just returned from my first road trip (90 mi each way) and I almost got stranded. the place I stayed had a great 240 plug near a parking spot, but it was just about 15' beyond the standard charger that comes with the car. So, I moved to another spot where I could use their 110. that worked fine, but at only 3 mi per hour, I needed over 24 hours to recharge the "90 miles" that I had driven which drained my engine 140 mi equivalent (4 guys in the car and it was cold).

I don't want to have that "range anxiety" again, so I would like to find a 15' - 30' extension cable that will get me closer to the 20-25 mi/hr charge rates that I get at home.

I saw that one guy bought this RV extension cord on Amazon, but he didn't say if it actually worked and charged in that low 20 mi range.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Extension-Cord-Handle/dp/B0024ECIP0/re...

Anyone have experience with this or another RV extension cord and if they will work for occasional (5x per year) travel?

shop | June 4, 2013

10 gauge for 30 amps is the right gauge. It should work fine.

mdemetri | June 4, 2013

Thanks shop.

ajamison | June 4, 2013

Why would you need an adapter for a 5-20 you can plug a regular household appliance into a 5-20 outlet and it will not fry so why not just use the 5-15 adapter for the tesla

shop | June 4, 2013

Because the tesla 5-15 adapter has a pilot signal in it that tells the Model S to limit max amps to 12 amps. But if you had a 5-20 plug, then you can safely draw 16 amps, 33% more. So an official Tesla 5-20 adapter would be nice, or failing that, a home made one.

Pages